(Canada) Ltd. was formed in April 1967 to market the British built Hovermarine
HM.2 60-passenger sidewall ACV and the 4/5 seat Hovercat. The company started
designing recreational hovercraft in February 1969 and prototypes of the CHM1 Sandpiper
were built in 1969 and 1970. The company's aim was an all weather vehicle
which does not have to be modified by the operator to suit climatic changes.
Their only production hovercraft was the 2/3 seat Sandpiper,
an amphibious craft constructed of GRP and powered by two 2-cycle air cooled
engines. Lift was provided by a 22HP 2-cycle driving a 24.5" diameter
aluminum centrifugal fan. Thrust was supplied by a 50HP 2-cycle engine
driving via poly-vee belt two 24.5" diameter aluminum centrifugal
fans. Propulsion air was expelled horizontally through the rear thrust
ports. The skirt was of the standard HDL loop-segment type.
Length: 16'8" Width:
7'11"" Height: 3'10" Empty
Wt: 1,200 lb Payload: 400 lb
Max speed (calm water): 35 kts Cruising
speed: 25 kts Endurance: 3 hrs
Source: Janes 1971
The manufacturer's address was:
Hovermarine (Canada) Ltd.
1100 Norman Street
Tel: (514) 634-3493